Friday, May 27, 2011

How to Handle Discouragement

by Benjamin Burke

Do you ever get discouraged? Maybe you’ve moved away somewhere and have to make new friends. Imagine what it’s like to live in another country where communicating with other people, about simple things even, can be hard.

It can be hard to go through periods of time when you feel down. It’s even harder to come to God with it. But the Lord challenges us to trust in Him and seek Him. Most people say, “It’s hard enough to follow God, but to give up everything, including friends and family, impossible!” But if you want to know God, you have to love Him and believe that He is enough, no matter what problems you face.

When I am feeling a little down, there are a few things I do. I pray, try to keep a clean heart and mind and not fixate on my troubles, and I choose to concentrate on God’s goodness. I remember to think about scriptures that I know will encourage and strengthen me. Two that I like are:

1.) For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear” (Hebrews 13: 5, 6). 2.) Draw near to God and He will draw near to you (James4:8).

I also remember to be thankful. It is easy to think about the things you don’t have, but it is more important to praise God for the things you do have. I try in everything I do to listen out for God. I am re-reading a book right now called the Door Within where the motto of the knights is, “You are not alone”. When I read this I remember that God wants to remind me of His love even when I am doing everyday things like reading. Finally, try to find someone to show kindness to and encourage them in what they are going through. Remember, you might not be the only one feeling down.

So whenever I am feeling down, I try to turn the spotlight off of me and onto God. When I do I always feel less discouraged.

1 comment:

  1. James is my favorite book of the Bible, but I've never noticed James 4:8. thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete