Saturday, January 28, 2012

Heroes

by Benjamin Burke

A few weeks ago I emailed my all time hero Shaun Alexander, who was a famous running back for the Seattle Seahawks, and signed up for his newsletter. I check my email account a couple times a week to see if I have the newsletter from him yet, but I haven’t received one.

Now I didn’t think that he would write me personally, but I would enjoy receiving this newsletter they promised. Then I was sitting one day thinking about what I would do if I did receive a personal email, and it struck me how faithful God always is and will always be in relating to us.

We always turn to our heroes for inspiration and to set standards for who we respect or wish to be like. Earthly heroes, though, can let us down. Mr. Alexander hasn’t really let me down because I understand I probably won’t have a personal relationship with him. But One I can turn to, and trust to inspire me and relate with me, is Jesus.

I am by no means putting down Mr. Alexander. He is a strong Christian and has taken a faithful stand for God and I know that must be hard being in the spotlight. I respect him for that, and even though I still want to get that newsletter, truth is I can still daily go to the same hero he looks to, Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Benjamin! A good balance here on admiring people of strong faith and admiring the person whome their faith is in, JESUS! Loved this thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Ben! Such a simple thought, with such a profound impact on our lives if we would receive it and walk it out. I am so thankful to serve a God who has made a way for me to walk in relationship with Him. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete